- Tropical Depression One forming in May made a tropical cyclone form in the Atlantic Ocean in May for three consecutive years
- No tropical storms formed until August 12, which was the latest start since 1992
- Hurricane Fred achieved major hurricane status the farthest south and east of any Atlantic cyclone ever recorded
- Tropical Storm Grace formed the farthest north and east of any tropical cyclone in the Atlantic Basin
- Hurricane Ida made landfall in the U.S. as a tropical storm in November, becoming one of only six cyclones to do so
Overall, due to an El Nino event, the 2009 Atlantic Hurricane Season was relatively quiet and not much damage resulted.